The (culinary) art of food!
It's Culinary Arts Month, and with the help of Dei Fratelli's tomato-lovin' chefs, we've put together tips to bring you closer to becoming the master chef of your culinary dreams. Check out these three easy cooking tips.
1. Create a Clean Workspace: Create a well-lit, clutter-free prep area in your kitchen that has space for your cutting board, ingredients and a bowl or two. Keep knives close by ... And a can opener for easy access to your Dei Fratelli tomatoes. Eating Well Magazine recommends placing "a garbage can, trash bowl or compost bin within arm’s reach so you can get carrot peels, onion skins, and so forth out of the way."
2. Stock Up: Don't let your culinary creativity be stifled by an empty pantry! Stock up on non-perishable goods! Everything from Dei Fratelli Chili Ready Diced Tomatoes to our Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce are fair game and perfect go-to's even when cooking dinner seems more like a hassle than the delicious escape it was meant to be!
3. Learning Curve: Cook, bake, sautè and grill 'til the cows come home! Don't be afraid to experiment with new and exciting dishes. Practice makes perfect! By exploring our recipes, you can start easy with a simple Busy Bee Salad and move up to Stuffed Peppers (psst ... they're easier than they sound!).
The Picky Eater's Tricky Palate
Try these five ways to help that picky eater in your life ... fall in love with a new vegetable for the very first time!
- Cook raw veggies until charred, softens the vegetable considerably.
- Don't shy away from seasoning! If you’re looking for something simple, reach for a can of Dei Fratelli Chili Ready Diced Tomatoes.
- Tomatoes to spice up nachos or a vegetable recipe like soup.
- A dash of vinegar can tame the sweetness of veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Purèe starchy vegetables like cauliflower and rutabaga to mimic the oh-so-loved mashed potato.
- Try Dei Fratelli's Truly Tomato Ratatouille ... our yummy take on a classic stew - you won't even miss the meat!
Super Foods Men Should Eat
According to Men's Health, there are a few super foods that don't quite make it to men's diets, but should. These little gems? They include:
Truly Tomatoes are a HIT!
Supermarket Guru Phil Lempert reviews our Truly Tomatoes. Watch the video below.
Ask our chef ...
Q: I know Dei Fratelli loves the picnic season! You’ve got so many fabulous recipes for picnics. I was wondering ... What is the history of picnicking?
A: You know ... We were wondering that too! Apparently, the earliest picnics were in England and were medieval hunting feasts — as the feast before the chase assumed a special importance. Foods consumed would have been pastries, hams, baked meats, and so on.
By the way: if you’re interested, here’s a really cool article we found in The New York Times: 101 20-Minute Dishes for Inspired Picnics.
Do you have a question for our chef? If so, send it to us!
What Sauce are You?
With so many flavors of pasta sauces available, flaunting different tastes, ingredients and heats, it’s hard to choose which one will be right for you and your taste buds. Want to know what your pasta sauce personality is? Answer the questions below then follow our guide to find out which sauce you are.
1. Would you describe yourself as:
a. Practical and Grounded
b. Passionate, Lively and Courageous
c. Sensitive, Compassionate and Romantic
d. Quick, Decisive and "On the Go"
2. Your ideal Saturday night would include:
a. A cozy night at home with friends and family watching movies and playing board games
b. Getting dressed up for a night out at the newest hot spot in town
c. A romantic dinner and "date night" with your special someone
d. An evening outdoors, either camping out or taking a stroll through a park near your home
3. When you think of Dei Fratelli products, you think ...
a. Boy, I remember my grandma using that same great product in her family recipes.
b. Italian at it’s best! Now that’s amore!
c. I feel good about giving my family the very best.
d. Open a can, throw it on some pasta, and I’m a miracle chef!
If you chose mostly "A" then your pasta sauce personality is Dei Fratelli’s Mushroom Pasta Sauce. This sauce offers a delightfully rich and rustic combination of hearty mushroom chunks united with robust vine-ripened crushed tomatoes. Another good option for you would be Dei Fratelli’s Three Cheese Pasta Sauce. This sauce hosts a distinctive blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano cheese combine with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and vine-ripened crushed tomatoes to produce this deliciously rich, cheese lovers' delight.
If you chose mostly "B" then your pasta sauce personality is Dei Fratelli’s Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce. The fusing of spicy red peppers with crushed and diced vine ripened tomatoes produces this wonderfully intense and fiery sauce. Another good alternative is Dei Fratelli’s Fire Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce. Fire Roasted zucchini, red and yellow bell peppers, onions and carrots make for a deliciously, savory sauce sure to provide you with your latest culinary masterpiece.
If you chose mostly "C" then your pasta sauce personality is Dei Fratelli’s Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce. Perhaps the most versatile of all our sauces, the delicately clean flavor created by combining vine-ripened crushed and diced tomatoes with fresh chopped basil leaves offer culinary options too many to list. Another sauce perfect for you would be Dei Fratelli’s Marinara Pasta Sauce. The refreshingly, robust taste of crushed and diced vine-ripened tomatoes mingle with flavorful onions, garlic and Italian seasonings to produce a wonderful taste sensation not soon forgotten. A fantastic start to any Italian dish.
If you chose mostly "D" then your pasta sauce personality is Dei Fratelli’s Traditional Pasta Sauce. This is a full-bodied sauce created from vine-ripened crushed and diced tomatoes blended with onions, peppers, oregano, basil, garlic and Romano cheese. A memorable taste experience your family will surely enjoy. Another good option for you includes Dei Fratelli’s Home-style Pasta Sauce. This original family recipe captures the true tomato flavor of freshly crushed vine-ripened tomatoes carefully blended with spices and a dash of Romano cheese.
Crafting that great Dei Fratelli taste you’ve come to love begins well before our premium tomatoes are plucked from the vine. Before it gets placed on your dinner table, the Dei Fratelli team agonizes over seedling varieties, our processes and our relationships with local farmers (canning, preserving and passion). We select only the very best tomatoes possible for each product within our line. We think your family is worth it ... and know you’d agree.
All Dei Fratelli canned tomato products come from seedlings that we germinate ourselves ... in our own greenhouses. The seedlings are then planted on local family farms that have grown tomatoes for multiple generations. 49% of the tomato farms are within 10 miles of a Dei Fratelli processing plant. All farms in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan are within 50 miles of a processing plant.