Dei Fratelli Tomato Recipe
1 Cup Sweet Onion, Small, Dice
1/4 Cup Green Pepper, Minced
1 Tbsp. Garlic, Minced
1/2 Cup Red Wine
2 lbs Ground Sirloin, lean
1 lb. Ground Pork
2 14.5 Oz. Cans Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes
1 14.5 Oz. Can Dei Fratelli Tomato Sauce
4 Cups Kidney Beans, rinse and drain
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 Bay Leaf
2 tsp. Sugar
4 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Wheat Flour
1. Cook bacon in large stock pot over medium heat for 3-5 minutes stirring often.
2. Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add green pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Scrape the bottom of the pan and pour in wine to release crispy bits from pan. Allow to evaporate about 2 minutes.
5. Add meat and cook thoroughly, stirring throughout about 8 minutes.
6. Once meat is cooked, add all tomato product and stir.
7. In a small mixing bowl combine: salt, sugar, chili powder and flour and mix until fully blended. Add this dry seasoning mix to the pot and stir in well.
8. Add the beans and the bay leaf and stir in gently taking care not to smash the beans.
9. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for about 70 minutes.
10. Taste before serving, adding more salt if desired. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Serving Suggestions: Garnish with sour cream, cheese, diced onion or hot peppers. If a spicier chili is desired, stir in several dollops of hot sauce before covering on the simmer.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 70 min