Not only are tomatoes delicious, but there are many health reasons to eat tomatoes. Check out these six reason you should eat more tomatoes:
- Did you know tomatoes contain large amounts of vitamin C? They provide 15-30% per serving of your daily value.
- Tomatoes also contain a good portion of your daily value of vitamin A, potassium and iron.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, which give them their red color. Research suggests that lycopene acts as an antioxidant and can help people stay active even in old age.
- Recent studies conducted by Harvard researchers, have suggested that lycopene can even help prevent cancer. The study discovered that men who consumed 10 servings of tomato sauce a week (or about 10 slices of pizza) can cut the risk of developing prostate cancer by an impressive 45%!
- Cooking tomatoes in olive oil allows your body to better absorb the lycopene within. Tomatoes also don’t lose any of their nutritional value during processing.
- Freshly packaged tomatoes, like those we make, have actually been found to have a higher lycopene content than garden tomatoes.